NOTL Writers’ Circle
THE 2019/20 RISING SPIRITS WRITING CONTEST Entry Rules - CLOSED
How to Enter
1. Fill out an official entry form. You must submit a separate entry form with each submission.
2. Multiple submissions are permitted.
3. Your completed contest form, submission and entry fee must be mailed to:
Attention: R. West
P.O. BOX 543
Niagara on the Lake
ON, L0S 1J0
3. Entry Fees: Non Members - $15 per submission
NOTL Writers’ Circle Members - $10 per submission
Youth (14-18 years of age) – no entry fee
Cheques should be made payable to The NOTL Writers’ Circle. If you prefer to send your payment for the entry fee by e-transfer, please transfer to Richard West, email@example.com. Please state what the money is for – i.e. fee(s) for fiction entry, Rising Spirits contest. Please select a password that is simple to guess. Example: What did I do to enter? Answer: Write
4. Deadline 6 p.m. on Thursday, October 31st, 2019.
5. Upon receipt of your entry form and submission, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
Who Can Enter
1. You must be an Ontario resident.
2. Only the original author of the work has the right to submit an entry.
What You Can Enter
1. Your entry must be original. Entries that are plagiarized will be disqualified. Plagiarism is copying someone else's words and or ideas.
2. Only unpublished material will be accepted. Copyright remains with the author.
3. Your entry must be written in English.
4. Short stories and/or poetry must not go over the maximum of 2500 words.
5. Multiple entries are welcome in each category. Categories are:
6. The entry must be a Word Document and winners must provide a digital copy. Format: 2.5 cm margins. Times New Roman, 12 pt. font. Indent paragraphs. Double space.
7. The following information must be included on the entry form/cover page. Each following page should be numbered and include the title of the piece.
a. Full name
b. Story/ Poem Name and word count
c. Home Address
d. Email address
e. Telephone Number
f. Total Page Numbers
1. The entries for each category will be judged separately.
2. Entries will be judged for content, originality, and style.
Winners and Prizes
1. Authors of winning entries will be contacted one month before the Awards Celebration.
2. Authors of winning entries will be presented with an award, and:
- have their work published in the 2019 Rising Spirits Anthology
- be provided a written evaluation
- receive cash prizes
1st Place - $250
2nd Place - $100
3rd Place - $50
3. All contestants will be invited to the Awards Celebration on Sunday, February 23, 2020.
THE 2019 RISING SPIRITS WRITING CONTEST
OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM AND RELEASE/WAIVER
Please copy and submit this form and answer all questions. You must submit a completed entry form with each submission to the contest. Incomplete entry forms will be disqualified from the contest.
The completed entry form must be submitted by the deadline - 6 p.m. on Thursday, October 31st. Late entries will not be considered.
Author’s Full Name: ___________________________________________________
Mailing Address: ___________________________________________
Town/City, Province and Postal Code:_____________________________________
Telephone: Home/Cell: _____________________ ___________________________
Email Address: _______________________________________________________
Category of Submission (check one only):
Word Count: ______
Title of Submission: ___________________________________________
Are you 18 years of age or older? ____Yes ___ No
If you are under 18, please have your parent or guardian sign below to signify permission to enter the contest.
In entering the NOTL Writers’ Circle Rising Spirits Writing contest, I irrevocably give the NOTL Writers’ Circle and it agents and contractors the right and permission to use, copy, edit, distribute, publish in an Anthology, and display my name and town/city, the work I have submitted, photographs and images of me from the Awards Celebration or made for promotional purposes in advertising or promotional materials, and in any other medium or format for any purpose related to the above-mentioned contest. I waive the right to royalties or other payment for the use of my submission. The work I have submitted was solely created by me and is owned by me. I release and waive and agree to hold the NOTL Writers’ Circle and all its agents and contractors harmless from any claims, damages, or liabilities resulting from the use or publication of my submitted work, included but not limited to for violation of publicity rights and privacy rights, claims based on moral rights, intrusion, defamation, fraud, copyright or intellectual property infringement.
I represent and warrant that:
a. I have the full right and authority to execute this Release and Waiver
b. I have read this Release and Waiver and fully understand it
c. All statements and information included in my Entry Application are true and complete.
Print Your Name: ___________________________________
For Youth under 18 years of age:
Parent/Guardian Name: __________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ______________________________